HAM Radio: Things to do before getting your ticket
Want to be a licenced HAM? Planning for appearing in exam for a HAM license? Here are some tips that may be helpful in boost your enthusiasm and ASOC (Amateur Station Operator’s Certificate ) exam. Go get your Ticket!
1. There is a live and active Group on facebook named HAM RADIO INDIA from where you can get lot of help and updates. Most of members are Old HAMs and are very friendly. Joining this group will help you a lot.
2. If possible go and visit any HAM club in your locality. Here is the list of HAM clubs in India.
3. What HAM talk on their rig? Increase your enthusiasm by listening the HAM bands. It is great fun. Build your own receiver or buy a assembled one. An old HAM Mr. Dev Ramaprabhu (vu2dev) is providing JOTA receiver. If you are unable to build one, you can order him either PCB or fully working Super Heterodyne receiver.
4. If you are not aware of the basic of electronics, it’s the time, get started. Study basic of radio communication and electronics and THE INDIAN WIRELESS TELEGRAPH (AMATEUR SERVICE) RULES, 1978 [pdf]
5. If you want to get deep in HAM technologies, go for Grade I and for that you need to have at least 8 wpm Morse code sending and receiving capability. You are not a real HAM until you know art of communication in Morse code. Start learning Morse code. For quick start download CWPlayer by F6Dqm by clicking here and start your practice. You can download ARRL audio Morse code training Disk from torrent. I don’t know it’s legal or not, so don’t blame me latter. You can also order Study material and CPO (coder practice oscillator) and key from NIAR (National Institute of Amateur Radio)
6.If you are all done, then it’s the time to send application to your nearest monitoring station. Here is the list of monitoring stations.
7.Have patience. It’s not like your university exam. It goes through a complex procedure until you get your license in your hand.
Read my post “Amateur Radio: Hobby,Technical Investigation and Public Service” to know what is HAM RADIO or Amateur Radio
Something to say? something to ask? comment here!!